дорогая мама и папа (dear mom and dad),
Well hello family! I would've paid money to see my reaction as well! I still can't believe it! Oh my gosh it's crazy, crazy good though ha ha. I heard about the unfortunate news of Michael Jackson's death. We had a little funeral service in honor of him, when he was black of course, with Thriller and all. Any who, sounds like you have quite the weekend ahead of you with the cabin and all. Sounds like it should be fun as always! Wish I could be there to lighten the mood, but maybe in a couple years.
This mission, I would have to say, has been a key moment in my life already. I am truly gaining a greater knowledge of the gospel and I am actually learning in depth about the scriptures more than I ever could any where else. I look forward to each day when I have the opportunity to read in the scriptures.
It dawned on my the other day that it was Oscar's birthday and I felt so bad that I had forgotten. It's good to hear he is holding up well. I was worried whether he would even notice if I was gone ha ha. I did receive Grandpa Swainston's letter and he had many thoughtful insights as usual. Sounds like you had a good time at Brick Oven without me. Gosh, I miss real food. The food in here is repetitive...everything in here is repetitive, everyday, every week, every month...oh well it's nice. I'm sure I'll miss the easiness when I am in the mission field.
I am finally felling better thanks to all the drugs I've been loading up on (when I say drugs you know I mean Sudafed and stuff). It really sucks being sick. I'd have to say that was the only other time I felt really homesick, apart from the first couple days being here. I really just wanted to lay down on the couch at home and have you nurse me back to health. Honestly, it really sucks when you're sick. It's harder to focus, but like I said thankfully I am getting back to 100% health. Scottie said there was an Elder who was transferred to a Hawaiian mission (instead of going to Italy) from his district.
I was able to send the email back to Sister Bennett with all the info, so that is taken care of. I heard from and Elder in our district, that our first trip might be to Estonia or some where like that. I do have my moments of homesickness and I don't think that will ever go away. Mainly, I've just really tried to keep myself busy so I won't have time to worry or really think about home. I pray everyday multiple times to help me not worry or feel homesick and to bless all of you at home.
We are teaching the first lesson next week in Russian for the first time. I am really trying to prepare for that how ever I can. I also am praying in Russian as often as I can. Before each class period, we all sing and pray in Russian...taking turns around the circle and that does help a lot as well. Also, the big thing that helps is whenever we learn a word in Russian, we try to replace it with that Russian word in our everyday activities...like: hello, I know, goodbye, Elder, etc., so that really helps get in the mind set of Russian.
I really do appreciate all you are doing for me. My companions don't usually get as many packages and yes, I am making sure to share with everyone ha ha...I can't eat all that stuff myself! It really helps when I hear from home knowing all is well still. Well let Sophie know that the Ipod is all hers ha ha! Just make sure she takes good care of it though! Be sure of that and tell her I love her and miss her very much. Thanks for letting me know you're going to see Transformers in my honor that really helps me ;) ha ha, jks. I talked to an Elder who came in that Wednesday who saw it at midnight and he said it was pretty much as good as the last one. So it's worth the 2 year wait and yeah...I'm not that heart broke over not seeing it anymore.
I've seen Wei quite a few times ,but we never have time to really talk to each other. He leaves for Australia July 6th, so I am always telling him how lucky he is ha ha, and he knows it. He rubs it in my face every time. He told me to tell you thank you for the cookies and what not. He really enjoyed them he said. I've seen a lot of friends from school and I recognize lots of people. I've seen Jason Ellis quite a few times as well.
Things are coming along in here slowly, but surely. I just can't wait to get out of here and get to Russia and finally go to work. My teachers are great. They've really lightened the mood and stuff. I love my teacher, Brother Stratford. He is so funny and how he describes himself is "squirrely" ha ha. He has so many interesting and entertaining stories. He told us about how he had an interesting companion who called himself the "White Bison" ha ha. He was from St. George and although he was White, he always wore the Navajo turquoise jewelry and stuff. He was telling us this story about the White Bison and a native Russian companion who were both together in Russia. They didn't have a lock on the bathroom door in their apartment and that is where the native Russian companion was sitting on the toilet writing in his journal cuz it's the only quiet place to write. This White Bison some how found huge Aviator sunglasses, a trucker hat that said "American" on it and 2 empty soda bottles. It was the 4th of July and I guess the White Bison was feeling really patriotic, because he flung open the door to the bathroom and started playfully beating his native Russian companion, who was peacefully writing in his journal, yelling "AMERICA" the whole time. We just died laughing trying to picture that ha ha! He has a lot more stories like that and it makes class a lot more interesting.
Well I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July weekend. I'll try to have one myself, ha ha. How are things at home? Give everyone my love and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone always!
Love you! oxox
Elder Drew Swainston
No comments:
Post a Comment